Friday, February 18, 2011

Crysis 2 Multiplayer and Singleplayer Review (PC/360)

So, as a lot of you probably know, Crysis 2 had an Xbox Multiplayer Demo, and was also leaked onto PC, as an almost full version.

Because I own a 360, and was pissed off that Crytek didn't give it's loyal fan base a PC demo, I did get in on the action and was able to play both. So, being that I have some free time on my hands, why not? This is my review of Crysis 2.

To start off, let me just inform you that you're gonna hear 4 titles come up more than once in this review: Call of Duty, Halo, Bad Company and Killzone. Why? Because Crysis 2 plays a lot like a combination of all 4 of those games. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it doesn't make it feel a lot like the original Crysis, which, in my opinion, was a better game.

If you have played Crysis or Warhead, which I have, you will immediately notice that the Graphics and Controls have been really dumbed-down to let the game run efficiently on the console. This is a real shot to the chest for the PC gaming community, since the main attraction to the original Crysis was it's insane graphics, which, i'm willing to say are still some of the best out there. The graphics here look a lot like Crysis 1 with half the settings on medium, and half of them on high. And as far as i'm concerned, other than a few small, barely noticeable things, the game looks almost the exact same on all three graphics settings.

Speaking of the graphics settings, they're really annoying and confusing. They are as labeled: Gamer, Advanced and Hardcore. I don't get why they couldn't just stick to the simple Low, Medium and High. Not to mention, it's not a drop-down selection like the first game, so when I first was setting it up, I had no idea which settings were which. I believed that Gamer was medium, and Advanced was low, while Hardcore would obviously be the high setting. I had to go look up online that Advanced and Gamer were actually switched. Not to mention, but you only get those options. There's no advanced option, like say if you wanted the Physics to have a high quality, but the textures to have a lower quality. However, this is just an early build, and they'll probably change it to normal when the game is fully released. But, that there's my little nit-picking.

The game itself feels like Killzone and Bad Company, with the optional speed of Call of Duty, while looking like a cross between Call of Duty, Killzone, Halo and Crysis 1. It has a tactical approach to a lot of things, like Bad Company, and the gun play feels like a cross between Bad Company and Killzone(Mostly Killzone). However, unlike those games, it does have an optional and recommended speed factor to it, much like the Call of Duty series. The setting is a lot like if you took Halo, and put it in New York. So, yeah, it's a giant combination of all the big shooters at the moment. The good thing is, that they only took the good parts from all those shooters, which does make it blend together well.

The controls, as I said, are much more dumbed-down to let the game play like a game on the consoles. We've gone from 4 nanosuit modes down to 2. The other two are still in the game, but incorporated so that they are used without having to select them(Sprint, Groundstomp, etc.). Cloak and Armor are still in the game, which use the two bumpers, the Q and E buttons, or the mouse wheel. Armor makes you more durable, cloak makes you completely invisible, you get the idea. Your suit relies of energy, which is in much greater supply than the first Crysis, that regenerates with time, like Halo. The healthbar has been taken out, for some odd reason, and replaced with the Typical next-gen FPS style health system, where the screen will start to glow red if you take too much damage. I personally don't like it as much, and how can this Nanosuit be more advanced if it doesn't even track your vitals?

Time to talk about the Glitches. In the PC version, it's complete chaos. As far as i'm concerned, you will not get more than 2 levels without it crashing. The game will either crash to the desktop, or, much more commonly, just completely crash your computer, forcing a restart. Not only that, but there are quite a few freezes, a frame rate that's usually bad and all over the place(Doesn't matter your computer specs or setting, cause I have a great PC and have ran it on every setting), and textures that can just randomly disappear. In this one case, a guy didn't even have the texture for his own skin. He was see through with a foggy glow, and looked a lot like a ghost. But, this is most likely caused from being an early build, and will likely be ironed out for release. I have rarely run into glitches on the 360 demo.

Finally, the multiplayer. Created by Crytek UK, previously known as Free Radical, famous for the Timesplitters series, which, is my all time favorite video game series, the multiplayer is obviously something unique. It will take a while to get use to it, I warn. It's essentially a combination of, you guessed it, Call of Duty, Bad Company and Killzone. You have the perk system and create a class, all the classic game modes, killstreaks, and maps of all sizes. The thing that makes it unique, is the suit. You have all the abilities you had in single player, which adds a new level of strategy to the game. It's cool, fun, hardcore, and only for a share of the gaming audience. If you have a PC, check out the demo on March 1st. If you have an Xbox, well, sorr, but you missed it.

Overall, it is a fun, unique game, to say the least, and it seems a lot of work has gone into it. It just doesn't play or feel like Crysis.
If you can, try before you buy.

4 comments:

MRanthrope said...

I hear this game is supposed to be sick, curious about it myself.

Ilya311 said...

SICK :D u know wut to do ;)

Raini said...

The 1st. game was so awesome

Colin said...

I was wondering how the MP was going to play out, I'm still sitting on the fence with this one though.

Post a Comment